There are 100 old bunkers formerly used for the storage of TNT still in the area. The Atomic Energy Commission used the area from 1958 through 1967 for disposal of rubble contaminated by uranium and radium. … Due to its history as a processing facility for DNT and uranium ore, the area is part of a superfund site.
What were the bunkers used for at Busch Wildlife?
An open bunker, formerly used for TNT storage during WW2. The wildlife area includes approximately 100 such bunkers, most of which are sealed. This open bunker is accessible from the hiking trail in the area.
How many bunkers are at Busch Wildlife?
There are still 100 of the old TNT storage bunkers that exist on the area. The Department encourages recreational use of the area by the public, while furnishing fish and wildlife with the resources necessary to be healthy and abundant.
How many lakes does Busch Wildlife have?
Visit Missouri | Things To Do | August A. Busch Conservation Area and Nature Center. Nearly 7,000 acres of outdoor recreation; more than 30 lakes; several hiking trails, including a three-mile trail for hiking and biking; a full-service rifle, pistol, trap and skeet range (Fri.
What are the bunkers from in Lone Elk Park?
During the war, the government is said to have spent more than $3 million on 52 concrete storage bunkers called igloos, 21 miles of paved roads, two stables, a perimeter fence and trail and other improvements.
What is the best lake to fish at Busch Wildlife?
The best lake for big largemouth bass will again be lakes 33, 36, and 38. Lakes 6, 11, 21, and 28 and Prairie Lake on nearby Weldon Spring CA are also big bass lakes, with over 20 percent of bass being larger than 15 inches and have fish larger than 18 inches.
What kind of fish are at Busch Wildlife?
Main Species present- Largemouth bass, bluegill, channel catfish, flathead catfish, crappie, grass carp, hybrid striped bass, trout (winter months only), and muskellunge. Situated within twenty-five minutes of St. Louis, Busch Wildlife Conservation Area provides some great fishing throughout the year.
How big is Creve Coeur Lake?
Dredge Operation: From 1974 until 1981 Creve Coeur Lake was the site of a major dredging operation. Surface acreage increased from 220 acres to 320 acres and the average depth increased from 18 inches to 10 feet.
How did Lone Elk Park get its name?
Evidently one bull elk calf was overlooked because about 15 years passed and the land went to the St. Louis County Parks. Because of the footprints found, it was named the Lone Elk Park, without anyone having seen him. … It became a program for the Eureka Lions, a local newspaper, and St.
What was Lone Elk Park before it was a park?
Lone Elk Park was originally part of the Tyson Valley Powder Plant during World War II. After the war the area became a county park and herds of elk and bison were established in 1948.
What are the concrete structures in Lone Elk Park?
Long Description: Before it was a park, Lone Elk was a ammunition testing range for the federal government. You’ll see concrete structures throughout the park that were firing stations, observation stations, bullet traps, and ricochet walls. As you enter the park, find the tower firing station.